16 Oct How Often Should I Visit The Dentist?
If you think you may be overdue for a dental visit in West Windsor, you might be wondering how often you really need to see the dentist? Is it necessary to get preventive care every six months? Find out in this blog from Smile Society General Dentistry!
You Should Come To Smile Society General Dentistry Every Six Months
The ADA (American Dental Association) and all other major dentistry associations all have the same recommendation. Patients need to see a dentist like Dr. Singh or Dr. Sulaiman for a consultation every six months.
This is because routine dental visits are the best way to prevent common oral health problems like tooth decay and gingivitis. This, in turn, helps you save money by avoiding further dental treatments.
Most dental plans also cover visits every six months, so seeing the dentist regularly helps you make the most of your insurance plan, if you have one. For all of these reasons and quite a few more, you should see the team at Smile Society General Dentistry every six months. Sometimes it is helpful to increase the interval to 3 or 4 months if we feel that 6 months may be too long in-between checkups. This is because routine dental visits are the best way to prevent common oral health problems like tooth decay and gingivitis. This, in turn, helps you save money by avoiding further dental treatments.
What Happens At A Preventive Dental Visit?
Not sure what to expect at your appointment with Dr. Singh or Dr. Sulaiman? The steps involved in your preventive visit may depend on your personal situation, but typically include the following:
- Teeth cleaning – First, a dental hygienist at our office will do a quick visual exam of your teeth, then scale and scrape away plaque and tartar. Your teeth will be buffed and polished, then flossed to make sure they’re completely clean.
- Oral exam – Dr. Sulaiman or Dr. Singh will examine your mouth closely to look for signs of cavities, gum disease, and even oral cancer and other issues like teeth grinding. Then, they will discuss their findings with you.
- X-rays – New patients need x-rays at their first visit, and they are usually recommended every 1-2 years afterward, as this helps Dr. Singh and Dr. Sulaiman spot oral health issues that may not be visible with a visual exam alone.
- Fluoride treatments – Fluoride treatments use a fluoride-rich gel or liquid to coat your teeth and encourage them to “remineralize.” This treatment can be done as part of any six-month cleaning or oral exam. It strengthens the teeth and may be recommended for kids or adults who may be at risk of developing cavities.
- Dental sealants – Dental sealants use a clear liquid resin, which is applied directly to the rear teeth and hardens into a strong, transparent barrier. This helps prevent cavity formation, and may be recommended for cavity-prone patients. This is usually done in a separate appointment after your six-month cleaning and oral exam.
Schedule Your Next Oral Exam & Teeth Cleaning In West Windsor Today!
At Smile Society General Dentistry, we offer expert care for your entire family. If you or your family members are overdue for a six-month teeth cleaning and oral exam, don’t wait. Get the care you need to protect your smile and get peace of mind from Dr. Singh or Dr. Sulaiman. Contact us online or give us a call at (609) 779-2054 to schedule your consultation today.